Placement duration: Year-long
Minimum Degree (predicted): 2:1
Working as an integral member of the IT department to provide support to internal systems and key business projects, alongside all levels of the business to provide support and solutions.
The placement role takes an active part in maintaining and provisioning computers, infrastructure, servers and software. Providing end-user support is also a part of the role including helpdesk and user administration. This role requires the person to have a pro-active approach with a good mind for analysing and troubleshooting, along with a keen interest in the technology and IT field.
Your role in IT
- Supporting end-users with hardware and software helpdesk issues
- Configuring new hardware and software solutions internally and for projects
- Network configuration, communication infrastructure and virtualisation management
- Server management with Windows server, managing Windows Operating Systems
- Troubleshooting and repairing computer hardware
- Providing expertise to all departments within the company
- Researching and implementing new solutions to the benefit of the company
- Get to grips with the specific processes, methods and challenges throughout the company
- An understanding of the technologies, techniques and principles listed above is advantageous, however not fully required.
- Must be studying a 4-year sandwich degree course in Computing or a similar field
- An understanding of Microsoft 365 cloud products, Windows and common utilities
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Methodical solution finding skills
- Ability to organise work and manage time well
- Motivation to learn and maintain knowledge on the latest technology
Why Micro Nav
A placement at Micro Nav is not a low-level role, it is a meaningful position that carries a large amount of responsibility. During the placement year there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in every area of the business, providing a better understanding of how each department functions. We have a positive record of students gaining a beneficial and varied understanding of IT, helping to bind the theory from the lecture theatre to the real world.
About Micro Nav
Micro Nav is an industry leader in Air Traffic Control simulation systems, with our systems being used to train Air Traffic Controllers at some of the busiest airports in the world. Micro Nav has operated a placement programme for over ten years with great ongoing success.